On the Internet the possibilities are limitless.
If you have a skill you can sell it!
If you have an idea you can turn it into income.
One of the easiest ways to make money with your blog is to package up your know-how and sell it.
And if you have an ounce of graphic design skills (or know someone who does) – you can compile your ideas into a planner, printable or digital product.
Have you ever thought about selling planners, printables or putting together an ebook to sell on your blog?
If you said “YES girl that’s me”, then this post is for you.
Let’s dive in!When I decided to create my first digital product I decided on an eBook.
That ebook helped me create my first $1000 day online!
At that moment, I knew that digital products where gold!
Since creating my first digital product I’ve gone on to make money with planners, printables, online courses, and Canva templates.
And what’s made it so easy is that I’ve never had to learn or invest in complicated design tools like Photoshop or InDesign.
In fact, I’ve used nothing but FREE tools, like Pages for Mac and Canva.
And you may be saying, “I don’t have a Mac computer” BUT that’s okay because you do have access to Canva!
Canva has changed the game of graphic design and with a little creativity, anyone can use it’s drag and drop interface and beautifully crafted templates to create pretty and professional downloadable products.
But, here’s where you can make some money honey.
Yes, you can use Canva to create digital downloads for your own ebooks and online courses…
But, what if you could sell those digital downloads and templates you create to people who know how to use Canva, but don’t have the time or aren’t savvy enough to create something on their own from scratch?
There are millions of bloggers and online business owners who want to have beautifully branded graphics to elevate their sites, sales pages and social media presence. These are the customers you can tap into!
So where do you start?
Well today, I’m going to show you the exact process I’ve taken to make money in my sleep, selling planners, printables and digital products on my blog.
STEP 01 :: WATCHA GONNA SELL, SIS?
In order to make money, you have to have a product and people who want to buy that product.
So, before you run off creating all types of products, you have to decide which digital products you are going to sell and to whom?
This means you must know what kinds of planners, printables or digital products your ideal customer needs.
- If your ideal product avatar is a blogger or online biz owner, then you know bloggers need social media graphics, lead magnets to grow their list, ebooks, worksheets, workbooks, checklists, planners, etc.
- If your ideal product avatar is an author or speaker, then you know authors and speakers can use media kits.
- If your ideal product avatar is a t-shirt maker, you can create t-shirt templates.
- If your ideal product avatar is someone who wants to ge fit, you can create editable meal planners or calorie trackers.
- If your ideal product avatar is someone who wants to get out of debt, you can not only sell an eBook about becoming debt free but you can also create and sell, budget planners and expense tracker sheets, etc.
So, when you know what your ideal avatar needs to make their lives’ easier, you can create templates within Canva that your customers can use to easily customize and create their own branded downloadables.
Not sure who your ideal product avatar is?
Here is a training I teach inside of WomanprenuHER University called How to Create Your Profitable Product Avatar that can help ya out:So, based on your niche and your ideal product avatar you can begin brainstorming ideas for digital products that solve a problem or satisfy a need!
If you are still not sure what you can monetize or what downloadable digital products you can create, brand and sell, here is a full-blown list to get those juices flowing:
- webinar slides
- digital icons
- downloadable fonts
- email templates
- digital templates
- downloadable art
- design blueprints or plans
- pre-recorded content/audio
- downloadable patterns/textures
Now you may be wondering where masterclasses, e-courses and online courses come in to play. Well, because those are much more complex and require a more sophisticated product delivery platform vs planners, printables and downloadle digital products, we’ll takcle those in another post. Right now I want to focus on helping you create digital products and templates you can put together and sell within hours versus weeks!
STEP 02 : VALIDATE YOUR PRODUCT OFFERINGS
What you want to create and what your audience will buy, may be two totally different things. So, before you dedicate tons of time putting together your digital products to sell, I recommend that you actually test the market to see if people want what you’re selling first!
So, how do you do this?
- Ask! If you already have an audience (i.e. blog community, your own facebook group or email list) ask them if they would be interested in your potential product before you create it.
- Give! Offer your downloadable product or a “lite” version of your product as a FREEBIE or content upgrade. Are people subscribing to get it? Are they raving about your freebie? Pinning it? Sharing it? If the response is positive, you may have a best-seller on your hands! Plus, by offering it as a freebie first, you can get a good idea of what people want. If people are responding to it, you’ll be able to build a targeted email list of potential buyers you know are already interested in the types of downloads you will be putting a price tag on in the near future! If you are selling an ebook, you can offer a chapter or two as a content upgrade. If you are selling templates, offer ONE template within your product pack to see if people want it.
- Research! If you do not have a blog community, an email list or a facebook group of your own then leverage other online communities to do a little research. What are people succesfully selling on Etsy, Shopify and other blogs? What types of products are other industry leaders selling to their peeps? If other people can create and sell what you are thinkinig of selling then you can too.
STEP 03 :: CREATE YOUR COLLECTION OF DOWNLOADABLE DIGITAL PRODUCTS
You know what you’re going to sell and who you’re going to sell it to, now it’s time to create your product. When it comes to creating digital products, I recommend creating a collection of products to launch your online shop.
Selling digital products is very different than selling a signature course, membership site or program. You want to have more than ONE or TWO products in your online shop.
Just image if you walked into Bath & Body Works and they had only 2 candles to choose from or you visited a t-shirt boutique you found on Pinterest and they only had a few shirts? You’d think something was not quite right, right?
If you want to make a good first impression, and you want your customers to have confidence in buying from your brand, launching your shop with at least 5-10 products (or more) is a good place to start.
Just like your blog posts, you want to make sure your visitors have a variety of content to consume and when launching your online store it’s just as important to provide your visitors with fresh product options.
CHOOSE THE TOOLS TO CREATE YOUR DOWNLOADABLE DIGITAL PRODUCTS
Depending on the types of products you will be creating, there are a few different tools you’ll need to become familiar with. Some products like icons, patterns and textures will need more sophisticated software like Adobe Photoshop, but most of the downloadable products I mentioned above can be created right inside of Canva – which is what we’ll be focusing on here. Yay!
So here’s what you’ll need to create, brand and sell your downloadable digital products:
Canva is a free online design tool that has a ton of awesome features that will make you look like a design pro even if you’ve never created a graphic one day in your life.
Canva is extremely popular with individuals who create things like social media graphics, presentations, and business cards. It has saved them time, money, and allowed them to create graphics that look professional without needing to learn the expensive desktop design tools.
Canva is great for beginners. They have a free plan and they have a Canva Pro premium plan that is $9.95 per month (when billed yearly) per team member. The free plan has a ton of awesome features which in most cases is more than enough to create some awesome graphics but if you feel like you are going to be doing a ton of graphics and want additional features then the Canva Pro version is well worth the investment.
For example, with Canva Pro, you can create an unlimited number of folders inside of your account, allowing you to segment your designs, keeping your projects organized and well managed. You can also share your Canva templates without giving customers access to the original design, which is ideal when selling your templates.
If you do not have a Canva account already simply go to Canva.com and sign up with an email address and password.
Canva can be used on a desktop computer, ipad or iphone and with Canva, you can create things like Pinterest and social media graphics, brochures, booklets, and basically whatever web or print products you can think of. Feel free to take a look at some of these available Canva templates for more ideas.So if you decide you want to explore design software outside of Canva, those options will include Photoshop, PicMonkey, InDesign as well as Keynote, Pages, Google Drawings and Powerpoint. Let’s talk about a few of them below.
Adobe Photoshop is the go-to design software for many professional graphic designers and creatives. While Photoshop is a paid tool, you can make more intricate design elements such as icons, Photoshop brushes, patterns, and printables. If you ever want to take your graphics and design to another level, Photoshop is the way to go. It takes some time to learn and you may need to take a class or two to get up to speed. Photoshop used to be a “for professionals only” type of tool because of its hefty price tag, however, Adobe now offers a $10/month subscription which makes it super affordable even for newbie bloggers.
Now, when it comes to choosing which editable graphics and templates you want to sell on your site, you must keep in mind that your audience must also know how to use the source software in order to be able to customize those templates. For example, if you are creating templates using Photoshop, your customers must know how to use that softwarre. Most people will not be Photoshop savvy so keep that in mind because if Photoshop templates are all you’ll be offering, you’ll be severely limiting your customer base!
The other option is to create and sell both Canva and Photoshop tempate kits, which will in turn give you even greater income potential! #options
Now, if Photoshop is just a no go all the way around, here are a few other software suggestions:
Google Docs and Sheets
Since just about everyone on the planet has a Google Account, you can use your gmail address to get access to Google Docs or Sheets. These are FREE tools, easy to use and just about anyone can put together printables using Google Docs. I know many bloggers who make $5K or more a month selling printables and templates such as planners and email swipe files they’ve made with Google Docs.
Mockupworld allows you to create ah-ma-zing looking mockups to showcase your brand and products in dynamic surroundings. They offer both FREE and paid mockup templates!
SmartMockups is another mockup site that is ideal for those who want high quality graphics without having to learn Photoshop. They have both free and paid versions. The FREE version gives you up to 200 mockups with basic features. Their premium packages offer more powerful features with integrations and customizations, along with access to more mockups.
Other Graphic Design Tools to Consider
There are an endless number of resources and tools you can use for creating pretty and professional looking products for your eBooks, printables, infographics, workbooks, spreadsheets, and social media graphics, etc.
- Hatchful: I used Hatchful to create the logo for the my FlippingwithFamily site. I loved that I could create my logo from the hundreds of templates, icon, and color combinations that they provide.
- TailorBrands: I recently found this logo marker site that walks you through a step by step process for designing your own logo. The main draw here is the ease of use in creating elegant and professional logos!
Piktochart: Ready to create amazing infographics on your blog or as traffic generation tools on sites like Pinterest? Turn your content into a beautiful infographic with Piktochart. They have tons of cool themes to pick from and you can start with a free account! They also have a library of hundreds of infographics that you can use to jumpstart your creativity!
Picmonkey: Use this super simple tool to create beautiful graphics for your social media profiles, ebooks, and more for free!
UnSplash: Looking for high-resolution stock photos for your blog posts? Unsplash is one of the best sites for copyright free photos.
Pixabay: Another photo site for bloggers and infopreneurs that offer an amazing collection of beautiful, royalty free stock images for your blog.
Dimpleart: Need high-quality caricatures for your branding and marketing materials. This is a really cool resource.
TheNounProject: When they say icons for everything, they mean icons for every-thing!! The Noun Project is my #1 go-to resource for free quality icons.
DesignSeeds: A color blog that creates color palettes inspired by images of nature, plants, and country living. Jessica, the creator of Design Seeds has grown an active community of over 1 million followers across all social networks and can be found on Pinterest and Instagram. If you can’t find inspiration from her collection, you just may not have a pulse!
Color Palette FX: Oh boy! This is such a cool tool. This desktop app allows you to build a color swatch from a photo. So, let’s say you were vacationing in Santorini, Greece and were inspired to build a blog based on your experience there. Well, you can take your vacation photo, upload it to the Color Palette FX site and see what this tool spits out. Oh, it’s genius.
Coolors.co: This is a quick and easy site for finding color inspiration fast. I think it’s really cool how you can hit the space bar and it will generate new color schemes for you. If you have one or two starting colors you can enter the hex code, lock them in and the software will generate a new color scheme for you.
FREE (high-quality) and legit fonts online:
Awesome Fontstacks: This is a really cool tool when looking for great fonts to use on your site, in your courses and marketing materials? Awesome Fontstacks helps you mix and match fonts and it will automatically generate the CSS codes for you.
The key is to keep your design process simple, especially if you are a newbie designer or on a budget. As you begin to make more money in your online business you can choose to invest in more sophisticated tools such as Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator or even hire someone to create your planner, printables and downloadables for you!
CREATE BRANDED GRAPHICS TO MARKET YOUR DOWNLOADABLE DIGITAL PRODUCTS
Once you have settled on the tools you’ll need to bring your products to life, the next step is to make sure you have supporting product images you can use to showcase your products when it’s time to start selling. You will need to have graphics you can use on your store product pages, blog, social media pages, email newsletters and anywhere else you want to market and promote your products.
If you are not sure the best ways to showcase your products, here are a few great places to get inspiration for amazing product image layouts:
STEP 05 :: DELIVERING YOUR DOWNLOADABLE TEMPLATES
Just to be clear, there are three different types of planners, printables and downloadable digital products you can sell:
- Digital products that are not typeable/fillable or editable. Meaning customers can download but not type into or change the structure of the document.
- Digital products that are typebale/fillable but not editable. Meaning customers can download and type into the PDF but cannot change structure of the document.
- Digital products that are editable. Meaning customers can download the digital product, customize the branding and change the structure of the document essentially using them as templates.
So, if you will be creating digital products that are editable, there are a few things you will need to know before putting your products up for sell.
- For digital products that are not typeable/fillable or editable, you have to save the download as a PDF. The customer will be able to download the file upon purchase, open them up and read them or print them out. The document can be created in Canva, Word, Keynote, Adobe, etc and saved as a PDF.
- For digital products that are typebale/fillable but not editable, you have to save the download as a PDF. The customer will be able to download the file upon purchase, open them up and read them, print them out, or type in them from their destktop or mobile device. You can use programs like Adobe or free tools such as PDFEscape.com to make your PDFs fillable.
- For digital products that are editable and created using Adobe software (such as Photoshop or InDesign or Illustrator), you have to save the files, download them and then sell them. The customer will be able to download these files once they have completed their purchase, open them up in the designated program on their desktop, and edit the files directly if they choose to.
- For digital products that are editable and created using Canva, you have to save the template and share the design via a link. Once your customer has completed their purchase, you will need to provide them with the shareable Canva template access link. When they click the access link they will be prompted to “Use Template” to get access to a copy of the template that will open up in their Canva dashboard.
The easiest and best way of selling your editable documents and tempaltes is via Canva. It’s the perfect platform for sharing files you sell.
If you’re going to sell numerous templates, I recommend creating them using Canva Pro. Canva Pro gives you the ability to create folders (just like you would on your desktop) to easily organize and store your design Master files.
If you are not using Canva Pro you will always, always, always want to create TWO copies of the design template that you want to sell. One copy will be your MASTER COPY, which will be your original, and the duplicate will be your CUSTOMER COPY.
You want to save each copy in two different folders.
When you share a link with your customer, they are going to be able to edit the design which essentially changes the design for everyone. So, to make sure you maintain the integrity of your design template, you need to give your customer explicit instructions to save a copy of the design first, then edit the copy of the design only, and not the master file.
You can include these instructions in your product descriptions, in the download package, on the customer receipt as well as in the follow up email you send your customers when they receive the product access (link). You can also add instructions on the first page of all of your Canva designs that repeats the same instructions.
Now, we all know there’s gonna be that ONE person who ignores all the instructions and messes it up for everyone! So, if this happens, you can also fix it easily because you have the original Master file stored in a separate folder. All you need to do is copy the master file, and move it into the Customer file, and everything is back to normal!
STEP 06 :: SET UP YOUR ONLINE SHOP
There are a few different platforms you can use to deliver your templates:
- Your Blog platorm (WordPress.org, SquareSpace)
- e-commerce platform like Shopify, Etsy
- LMS platform like Teachable or Thinkific
Now, most blogging platforms come with a FREE e-commerce solution or plugin baked into them. If you are using WordPress.org you will find it comes equipped with the WooCommerce platform which is ideal for selling both physical and digital products. WooCommerce is the most popular free e-commerce solution for WordPress by a long shot and if you’re looking to open up a virtual shop on your blog, going with WooCommerce is one of the best decisions you could make.
To set up your shop you will need to set up your WordPress site first. Here are the steps on how to get that done:
- Get your domain name and set up your hosting service. I recommend SiteGround.
- Install your WordPress blog. If you need help setting up your WordPress blog on SiteGround check out this post here.
- Choose a quality WordPress theme that’s compatible with WooCommerce. I use the Salient Theme from ThemeNectar.
- Install WooCommerce. Setting up WooCommerce is super simple but if you are looking for a step-by-step tutorial on how to set up WooCommerce for your digital products make sure to check out this post: How To Sell Digital Products, Printables and Planners on Your WordPress Site Using WooCommerce
- Create pretty product pages. Upload your product images, downloadable files and add compelling product descriptions that detail the benefits of your products.
- Put a price tag on each and get to selling.
STEP 07 :: MAKE YOUR ONLINE SHOP PRETTY
Presentation is EVERYTHING! How you showcase your products could be the difference between massive sales and no sales at all. Your products represent your brand and your brand is your business. You want to make it as easy as possible for potential customers to trust that your product can deliver what they need. A huge part of building trust starts with the quality of your website.
No one wants to buy from a shady website, so it is important to make a good impression from the moment potential customers land on your site.
- Your site should be cohesive and branded. Make sure you are using a theme that is not only pretty but professional looking and enhances the products in your shop.
- Your store should be easy to navigate. Make sure the shop page itself is laid out in a way so that finding items is super easy.
- Your product pages would be formatted properly. Customize your product pages to make sure individual product pages are laid out beautifully.
- Your website copy including product names, images and description should be compelling and resonate wiith your target audience. Product descriptions are extended versions of your product promise and they help your ideal product avatar fully understand what they are getting when they use your product. The right product name, images and descriptions have the power to make your customer want to smack that buy now button…in 30 seconds or less!
- Your buy now buttons and order pages should be optimized to increase sales conversions. You want to make sure your calls to action, buy now buttons and order pages are optimized to convert sales.
STEP 08 :: OPTIMIZING YOUR SITE FOR SALES
When it comes to optimiziing your site for conversions there are a few things you will want to do:
- Show “related products” on your product pages.
- Upsell or Cross-sale items on the shopping cart page. When someone adds a product to their shopping cart, you can maximize your sales by using cross-sales or upsells. An Upsell is a higher value offer presented immediately following a sale. Typically an upsell is offered after the buy button is clicked, but before a credit card is charged, which makes the decision easier for the buyer (no need to enter credit card info twice). An upsell will almost always be more expensive than the original priced offer, and is generally a natural add-on or better version of what the customer is already buying. Now it’s easy to confuse cross-selling with upselling. Cross-selling is when you offer the customer a related product or service. If you want to leverage upsells and cross-sells, you can set which items to show on the WooCommerce dashboard.
- Provide multiple payment options if you can. When you give people the option to pay via PayPal and credit card it makes it easier for them, and increases your chances of completing a sale. Paypal, though not ideal in all situations, is a popular payment gateway that a lot of people trust. To accept credit card or debit card payments you can integrate Stripe as a payment gateway as well using the Stripe for WooCommerce plugin!
STEP 09 :: DRIVE TRAFFIC TO YOUR ONLINE SHOP
As pretty and amazing as your planner, printables and digital products may be, they will be no good to you if no one knows they exist. Creating your products is the easy part, now it’s time to focus on driving traffic to your blog and online shop so you can get as many eyeballs as possible on your products.
Just like an offline store needs foot traffic to get people in the door, your online shop needs web traffic to get people on your product pages. Driving traffic to your blog will drive sales. The more traffic, the more sales.
I use Pinterest and social media, specifically Facebook groups, to promote my content (i.e. blog posts, sales pages and product pages) to attract and drive traffic to my site.
Pinterest is the ideal place to promote your products because 55% of people on Pinterest are actively looking to buy something! Pinterest is like no other platform on the Internet in that is has to ability to drive customers to your site who are already in “buy mode.”
Now, if you are not familiar with Pinterest or not quite sure how it works, let me break it down for you.
When you create content in the form of a blog post, you can embed images, called Pins, inside of your post. When people land on your site, they can save this pin to their own Pinterest boards. The more people pin or save your images the more exposure you get on Pinterest in their “smart feed”.
Because Pinterest is such a powerful platform, it is a no-brainer for bloggers and online business owners to leverage it to sell more products. What makes Pinterest really cool is that it allows you to use what’s called Rich Pins.
So, what are Rich Pins?
To take your pins from mediocre to money makers you want to make sure you sign up for rich pins. Rich pins are favored by Pinterst, perform better in the smart feed and they also add extra data to your pins so that your pins will stand out more within the feed.
Now, to activate product rich pins, you’ll need to make sure your Pinterest account is a business account (it’s free and if you already have a personal account you can convert it to a business account at any time). You’ll also need to claim your website. And then, add rich pins to your account.(I give you instructions on how to make this happen below!)You can literally set this up in less than 5 mins if you have a WordPress site!
*Note: If you have an ETSY shop, Shopify site or a Squarespace website then you already have product Rich Pins built-in! How cool is that? Now whenever you change your product price or description it will update that pin plus it will update all the repins as well.
* If you have Yoast SEO plugin for your WordPress site then the meta tag for rich pins is automatically on all your pages. You just need to validate any link from your site.
There are currently 4 kinds of Rich Pins available:
- product, and
- app Pins.
The type of Rich Pin will determine what is shown with Pins from your website. A good practice here is to choose a Rich Pin based on which one you feature the most. If you have a couple of products but mainly rely on your blog posts to drive traffic + interest potential customers, you’d want to go with article pins rather than product pins.
If you just have an online store, product pins are the play because they display the product name + the current price in the pin description — and like all Rich Pins, they will automatically update to reflect any price changes you make on your site.
For a fuller description of the types of Rich Pins available, see the following:
- Article – https://developers.pinterest.com/docs/rich-pins/articles/
- Recipe – https://developers.pinterest.com/docs/rich-pins/recipes/
- Product – https://developers.pinterest.com/docs/rich-pins/products/
So now that you know what rich pins are: let’s move on to implementing Rich Pins.
SETTING UP PRODUCT RICH PINS FOR WOOCOMMERCE
When you use Woocommerce with the Yoast SEO plugin installed, setting up Product Rich Pins is just a few simple steps.
- Make sure open graph is enabled in your Yoast SEO settings (navigate to SEO > Social > Facebook )
- Copy the URL for one of your available products
- Paste the product URL into the Pinterest validator
- Click Apply now
CAN YOU USE TWO KINDS OF RICH PINS ON YOUR SITE?
So a common question for many bloggers and online biz owners who applied for Article Rich Pins, but want to also use Products, ask is…”Can I have two kinds of rich pins on my site?”
And the answer is Heck Yeah!!
You can have Product Rich Pins and Article Rich Pins, just not on the same page/post URL.
Articles/blog posts will automatically show up as Article Rich Pins if you have also set up and applied for Article Rich Pins. Pins leading to product pages will show up as Product Rich Pins. You can see I pinned a random product image from the WooCommerce shop a my site and it shows up on Pinterest as a Product Pin. You can tell because in the Pin description it not only has the product description, it also has the product price!
STEP 10 :: AUTOMATE + MULTIPLY SALES WITH A SALES FUNNEL
WAIT, WHAT’S A SALES FUNNEL ANYWAYS?
A funnel is simply an automated system that sells for you. It moves people from FREE to PAID!
To get your sales funnel set up you are going to need the following tools.
- EMAIL SERVICE PROVIDER like (ConvertKit) to send follow up and broadcast messages to your subscribers.
- IRRESISTIBLE FREEBIE or CONTENT UPGRADE WITH AN OPT-IN BOX. (workbooks, printable, mini-course, challenge, access to a webinar replay, anything of high value related to your blog topics and the products you sell)
- OTO PAGE OR TRIPWIRE PAGE WITH A COUNTDOWN TIMER. A tripwire is a low ticket, special one-time offer you pitch right after someone opts-in to your sales funnel or email list. So instead of them going to your thank you page first, they are sent to an upsell or sales page that offers something for sell. A typical tripwire can range anywhere from $7 to $47 or more depending on the niche and industry.
- FULL PRICED SALES PAGE.
- THANK YOU PAGE (optional)
WHAT A SALES FUNNEL LOOKS LIKE – THE BIG PICTURE
Now if you don’t know what a sales funnel is or what it looks like, let me give you a quick overview so you can see the entire picture.
When a new subscriber lands on your blog, or Instagram page or on a pin on Pinterest and then click on a call to action to get a freebie you are offering, they have two options. They can choose to opt in or they can choose not to opt-in.
If they choose to take you up on your freebie offer, they are going to #1 become a new subscriber to your email list and #2 they are going to get access to the freebie you promised them. Two things are happening simultaneously. So you can choose to deliver the freebie via email or you can redirect them to a thank you page or download page at the end of your funnel. Once they are a subscriber they will continue to get email follow up messages or broadcasts from you whenever you have something to share.
So what most people do is work really really hard getting people on their list but then they don’t take action on converting them. How many newsletters are you subscribed to that you were hot on when you first signed up but now you don’t even look at or open up. What turns a broke blog into a blog that makes bank is that it is constantly driving passive income for you and the best way to do this is by adding a sales funnel.
I have funnels set up that allow me to have $1000 days and it’s not just selling expensive courses, you can do this with $10, 20, $47… ebooks, challenges, templates, printables, webinar replays or product bundles, which is my favorite thing to offer.
This is so super simple and it’s something you can do too!
So let me walk through an entire funnel system with you so you can see exactly how I have this set up so you can replicate this on your blog to sell more planners, printables and digital products! I use ConvertKit and LeadPages to set up my sales funnels and in this short tutorial video I am going to show you how you can begin to set uo your first (orr next) high-converting sales funnel!(Check out my online course:: Slay Your Sales Funnels if you need help setting up high-converting sales funnels )Want to start a successful and profitable blog?
Get the exact plan and planner I followed to grow my blog to a full time income ($10K+ per month) in a year.
Get the 365 Day Blog Plan + Biz + Blog Planner
You’ll also get access to all my other freebies in the WomanpreneuHERs Resource Library.
CLICK THE YELLOW BUTTON TO GET INSTANT ACCESS.Digital products are a great way to create passive income with your blog and online business. Over the years I’ve created dozen of income streams from network marketing to speaking, brand design services to one-on-one coaching, but none have come close to generating as much revenue as digital products. There is power and profits in packaging up your information and turning them into digital products. Hopefully, the steps you’ve learned in this blog post will give you the confidence to create your own passive income stream with selling downloadable planners, printables and digital products on your blog!
One of the misconceptions about starting a blog is that you need to be a great writer to be successful. Nothing could be further from the truth. People read blog sites to get a personal perspective on things, so most bloggers write in a very informal and conversational style.
In addition, you don’t need to be an expert on your topic in order to have a successful blog. For example, readers of a cooking blog don’t want to read a textbook from a food scientist, they want to hear the experiences of someone who has actually cooked some real meals, mistakes and all.
At its heart, blogging is about sharing your knowledge with the world. Choosing a topic that you are passionate about makes the process of starting a successful blog so much easier.You know everyone thinks we’re crazy, right?
To most of the world, blogging is a joke.
And you have just about the same chance of becoming a successful blogger as you do a professional NBA player.
It isn’t a career. It isn’t a way to make money. It isn’t a tool for changing the world.
It’s a hobby, a side-hustle, a “thing” you do that’ll be here one day and gone the next. Oh yeah, you can start a blog, but don’t bank on it to make you any money. Insane!
Try telling your family or friends or coworkers you want to ditch your 9-5 and make money blogging. I did…and here’s what happened..They’ll smile politely and ask, “Does anybody really make money from that?”
They’ll smile, said oh, that’s nice and asked, “Does anybody really make money from that?” (I promise you that to this day my parents don’t really understand what I do!)
The former professional world class athlete, gold medal-winning Olympian and Biochem major with parents who’ve been in real estate for over 40 years is a…hmmm hmmm…blogger!
But this blog chick has gone from ZERO to $10K days blogging.
And it’s all because I decided the block out the naysayers and simply start!
I didn’t know what I was doing, where I was going or how I was going to make money blogging. I just knew that if other people were doing it, I’d figure out a way to do it too!
So you may be asking, where do I start?
Like any new skill, blogging takes time to master. Blogging is not a get-quick-rich type of thing, it’s not a golden ticket but it’s also not rocket-science. So, please understand that while it will take work, it’s totally doable and that’s what I’m here for…to help you do it!
If you’re new to blogging, or still in the throws of figuring out if you even want to venture down this windy road, here is a great step-by-step course with over 25 tutorials and tech videos. Free Blog Camp is just that FREE and it gives you everything you need to set up your WordPress blog the right way. So many bloggers don’t even get to write their first post because they get stuck with all the tech stuff!
If you are newish to blogging and looking for ways to monetize your passion, dive into the FREE 14-day mini-course, Monetize Your Passion where I walk you through 10 lessons (which are delivered straight to your inbox from mine) on how to turn your passion into profits with info products.
Once you’re all set up and you know you want to monetize your passion, head on over to my new membership site WomanpreneuHER University. It offers step by step video lessons, action sheets, and tech tutorials to guide you in building a professional, pretty and of course, profitable blog or online business. The $100K Roadmap is valued at $1997, but you can get started for just $19 a month.
Well, I’d say, the real question shouldn’t be, “How long will it take me to make money?”, but “How long will it take me to earn a living?” Making a few dollars here and there is not really going to cut it, if your ultimate goal is to ditch your day job and make your blog your primary source of income. So, the first thing I challenge you to do is to set some goals.
Most bloggers never make more that $100 a month blogging but This Blog Means Business shows you how to monetize your blog in a way that helps you achieve very specific profit goals based on the lifestyle you want to live. Many bloggers won’t see any money until 4-6 months in and then they’ll start off with a few dollars a month which can then grow to a few thousand after a year.
Every blog is different, but regardless of niche or passion, if you focus on income producing activities, leverage the right income sources and learn how to build a responsive email list, your potential to see a significant income very quickly increases exponentially. Plus, most bloggers simply give up too soon. If they don’t see money in the first few months, they quit, which is a total disserve to the people who are waiting for that special something-something only they can bring! But you’re not a quitter, right?!
So, if you are looking for more ways on how to turn your expertise into income, check out this popular post 24 Ways To Monetize Your Expertise As An Infopreneur. Implementing any one of these options can help you earn over $1,000 per month after a few months.If you’ve ever asked the question; “Can I really make money blogging” just take a look at the income reports of Pat Flynn, Melyssa Griffin or Michelle over at MakingSenseofcents.com. Now let me be clear, because I don’t want you to think I’m selling hype, not every blogger is going to make $100,000 a month blogging, and truth be told: “It takes time to build an income from blogging and no matter what stories you’ve read on different blogs, no true success ever happened overnight. (It only happens that way in the movies.)
But what if you could build your blog up to a cool $2000, $5000 or even $10,000 a month doing what you love?
I’ve done just about everything as an online business owner: network marketing, affiliate marketing, web design, brand coaching, speaking and now online courses.
So let me tell you that it can be done my friend – it can be done. Here are 5 of the best ways to monetize your blog (without sponsored posts or ads btw):
- Coaching: Now if you are looking for a way to start making money right away within the shortest period of time, offering coaching, consulting or services is the way to go. You can throw up a sales pages and a paypal button in minutes and start driving people to your services. When it first started I offered one-on-one coaching to network marketers and small business owners who wanted to grow their business and brand online. I charged $1600 for 6 weeks of coaching and it helped me to establish myself as an authority and go-to resource in my niche while I worked on growing my audience and building out my online courses. It doesn’t matter when you started blogging or how much experience you’ve gained in that time – if you have a skil,l why not offer your services virtually?
- Affiliate marketing: Affiliate marketing is a great way to earn an income if you don’t quite have the cajones to launch your own signature course. Not everyone is ready or has the desire to launch their own signature products. So the next best thing is to sell someone else’s. You can use your blog to promote other people’s products and when someone purchases that product or service through your unique affiliate link, the creator of that course gives you a small commission in return.There are thousands of affiliate programs out there and if you’re curious, sites will typically have a link at the bottom of their webpage that says ‘affiliates” which explains how to sign up for their program.
- Professional Speaking and Live Events: Another great way to make money with your blog is to market and promote yourself as a professional speaker or by putting on your own conferences, retreats or special events. You can do big events like a 7-day retreat in Bali or smaller events like a half day seminar or weekend workshop. You can create your own retreats and conferences or you can book speaking gigs where you speak to universities and corporations. If your focus is on speaking it’s important to establish your rates. You can make as little as zero dollars per gig of upwards of $25,000+ per speaking event if you are a well know established blogger.
- Physical Products: For many bloggers, their blogs have helped them sell books and become best-selling authors. Take Lewis Howes for example, after years of blogging and growing a popular podcast, he recently launched his book – The School of Greatness. Danielle LaPorte has built a multi-million dollar empire selling her Desire Map planner and she’s expanded into candles and other items. If you’re crafty you can create your own physical products or use your blog to sell and promote products manufactured by others. You can set up your own shop right on your blog for free using free plugins like WooCommerce or free ecommerce solutions like ECWID.
- Info Products: Online courses are the bomb.com! If there was such a thing as a magic bullet for your blog, online courses and info products are where it’s at. Personally, I think that the most lucrative way to earn money from your blog is to use your blog as a marketing tool and stepping stone to selling your own signature products and course. For me, online courses now make up about 90% of my monthly income. From selling ebooks to online courses I can earn an income passively – literally turning my blog into an atm by selling courses through my digital store and through the teachable platform.
So can you make money blogging? Yes, you can! It is possible to make money with a blog even if you are a mom, have a day job and have little time to invest. If you can consistently commit to putting in a few hours a week to grow your blog, you can most definitely build a mini-online empire.
Making a full-time income from blogging does not require full-time effort. One of the perks of blogging is that you can build a very profitable business putting in a good 10 hours a week. Now, the first few months of blogging is the most overwhelming and time-consuming. But once you get your blog running and you have a few pillar posts on tap, a few solid hours a week is all it takes to nurture and grow.
How much time and effort you put in depends on how much you want to make and how fast. I put in about 2 hours a day on my blog, and most of that is in marketing and content creation (blog posts, content upgrades, newsletters and online courses). The rest is in answering emails, responding to comments in my Facebook Group and networking.
I suggest posting at least once a week, maybe even two times a week if you can handle it. The more quality content you get out there, the faster you will be able to drive traffic to your blog and build your email list.
The great thing about being a blogger is that you can set your own hours, work when you want, anywhere you want. It is super flexible and you can work mornings, during the kid’s nap or school times, for a few hours after your day job, or you can work late nights when everyone else is asleep.
The most important thing is to find a flow that works best for you, a time where you can be most productive and then put in the work, focusing on income producing activities like marketing, building strategic relationships and list-building. (updating your blog colors every 2 weeks is not an income producing activity…just an FYI!) Remember, consistency is the key to success. If you need help mapping out your daily blog routine, make sure to download the EPIC Biz + Blog Planner here. When you make the decision to start a blog, you probably have a pretty good idea of what you want to start your blog in, right? But, the problem isn’t about whether you are doing something you are passionate about, the problem is in whether that passion of yours can actually make you money.
You may find yourself in one of three places:
- You already know what you like and are clear on the direction you want to take your blog
- You are multi-passionate and are trying to “make the right choice” on the direction to take your blog
- You are purpose-less and passion-less with no direction whatsoever where you want to take your blog
Need help finding your passion? Here are a few questions to help you uncover what you love:
- If you could start a business doing anything in the world, or get paid to do or make something for others, what would it be?
- Write down all your strengths, gifts, talents, and attributes. What do you know you are good at? What do other people tell you you’re good at? Are you an explosive speaker? An exceptional leader? Maybe you have a knack for targeting technology trends or great with kids?
- If you can’t seem to pinpoint your own passions, let’s look from the outside in. Your family and friends may have answers that you are unable to see within yourself. What do other people (family, friends, coaches, etc.) tell you you’re GREAT at? What do others constantly come to you for advice for or commended you on?
- Lastly, can any of “the things you love” solve a problem for someone else and if so can you monetize it?
When choosing which passion to pursue you want to make your ideas fall within a particular niche and in a niche where other people are making money and finding success. When building a business or product, it’s vital to solve a real problem for people. That is what people will pay for. Give me a topic, any topic, and I can find at least 100 different blogs, courses, ebooks, workshops, or webinars for ya! There are an endless stream of “I know I can show you how to make money” stuff floating around and believe me, it can be hard to decipher what’s real, what’s not, what you need, what you don’t and to tell you the truth there’s a ton of great stuff from a lot of people out there but there is also a lot of trash. Plus, if you gave 10 people the same info, you’d see 10 different results!
So, when you are looking to fill in the gaps, learn a little bit (or a lot) about a certain topic, which online course or info products do you choose?
As a newbie blogger the best advice I can give you is to find a few key people, influencers or bloggers who you vibe with – meaning you enjoy their content, look forward to reading their emails and love checking them out on social media – then study their success. The key is to figure out who can deliver the results that matter most to you.
Before I buy a course I ask the following questions:
- Why do I want this course?
- Will this course help me achieve my goals?
- Is the price right? Can I afford it?
- Is the course being delivered in a format I like?
- Do I enjoy the course creator’s other content?
- Have I gotten results from the course creator’s other content? (blog, email, challenges, social media, etc.)
- Does the course creator have a good reputation?
- Is their adequate support offered?
I’ve purchased enough online courses and info products to know that you will win some and you will lose some. And…that what some people rave about, will make you say, are you for real? It’s the nature of being a student of your craft. Just think about your favorite teachers in high school…You didn’t know you loved them (or didn’t) until you actually took their class. And the most popular classes are not always the best classes. The same rings true as you continue to learn as a business owner.
Be a student of the game. You will never find an online course that is an one-size-fits-all or one that gives you everything you need to learn as you grow and develop as an entrepreneur. Be willing to invest in different things, from different people, who can give you different perspectives and strategies on how to accomplish your goals. Then take that knowledge and create a system that works for YOU!It’s time to share your blog with the world…but wait, “Is it ready to launch? Do I have enough content? Am I missing any important pages?” I know I asked all the same questions before I got the guts to go live. Setting up your blog is one thing, sharing it with people is quite another!
So, before you start promoting your blog, I suggest you have the following ready:
- A clear and easy to navigate blog menu
- A clear call to action above the fold of your blog home page
- A lead generating About Me Page
- A professional and pretty profile picture (people need to know YOU!)
- A Terms + Conditions Page (especially if you are using affiliate marketing)
- An easy to find contact page
- Links to your social media pages
You also want to have:
- A minimum of 3-5 “binge-worthy blog posts” published. These are in depth, 3000+ word post that gives extraordinary value to your target audience. It addresses a main need or pain point people in your niche face. Starting off with 3-5 pillar posts will lay the foundation for your blog, encourage engagement and boost your shares on social media. It’s all about setting the tone and creating momentum. You want to let people know you are the real deal and have a lot to offer.
- Content upgrades for your pillar blog posts to boost subscribers.
- Calls-to-action and opt-in opportunities throughout your blog content, blog pages, and blog sidebar.
For example, if you blog about yoga, here are a few examples of great pillar posts:
- The Ultimate Guide to Yoga For Newbies
- The 100 Benefits of Yoga For Women
- The Pros and Cons of Yoga for Kids
- Everything You Need to Know about Baby and Me Yoga
- The Ultimate List of Yoga Pants (And My Absolute Favorite Brand)
A pillar post may take me 3-4 days to put together, because it’s that extensive. You want your pillar posts to almost be a resource guide or step-by-step tutorial that if you put a price tag on it, people would pay for it. Yep, it needs to be that good! Ultimately you want your readers to say, “I better bookmark this blog so I can come back!” Below are a few examples of “binge-worthy” pillar posts.
- 28 WAYS TO GET YOUR BLOG NOTICED AS A NEW BLOGGER! (BIZ + BLOG RESOURCE LIBRARY)
- 9 NON-SLEAZY WAYS TO GROW YOUR EMAIL LIST WITH SOCIAL MEDIA
- HOW TO TURN YOUR BLOG POSTS INTO AN EBOOK (FREE EBOOK MARKETING PLAN)
Take your time putting together your best advice. You want people to come to your blog and be WOWED by your content, even if there are just a few.
There’s an endless stream of info and people out there teaching on the same topics you will be talking about on your blog. So when you are in need of guidance or advice who do you follow? Which email lists should you join? Here are a few steps to finding people to follow:
- See who’s hot on social media. Pinterest, Facebook, and Instagram (just like Google) are all search engines. Type in your niche specific keywords and see what pops up. If you see certain people popping up all the time, it’s for a reason (hint…they are popular) so it might be a good idea for you to check them out too.
- Ask around in Facebook groups. One of the best places to get feedback on who to follow, which courses to buy and what’s working now is to simply search FB groups in your niche.
Now beware! Don’t follow 1000 different people online. Ain’t nobody got time for that! lol! Find a few people you resonate with, have killer content and a community you can really dig into. You want to follow people in your niche but you may also find you can get inspiration from and learn game-changing strategies from people outside your industry, in niches totally unrelated to your own.
Here are some of my favorite bloggers (and in no particular order):
- Pat Flynn of Smart Passive Income
- Stacia Pierce of LifeCoach2Women
- Luvvie Ajayi of Awesomely Luvviee
- Melyssa Griffin
- Kat + Karina of Tone It Up
- Jon Morrow of Smart Blogger
- Danielle LaPorte
- Jenna Kutcher
- Pauline Cabrera of Twelveskip
Do you know what’s worst than never starting your blog? Launching a blog that doesn’t get noticed! I’ve been there, done that! You are doing everything you know how, but for whatever reason nothing is working and you are at the point where you just don’t know what to do next. You’ve spent countless hours creating post after post, sharing them on social media and pinning them on Pinterest. But still, you’re not seeing the results of all your labor. What are you missing?
I want to share with you the plan I used (and still use) to build a 6-figure blog with a growing email list of over 7000 subscribers, in less than a year. Of course, results vary, but if you put in the work, you’ll be able to make a $2000, $5000, even $10,000 after 12 months of following this plan. There are no shortcuts to success but if you put in the work from the very beginning, you’ll be lightyears ahead of the competition! Get it below and turn your blog into a profitable business!
WHY DO YOU WANT TO CREATE + SELL YOUR OWN DIGITAL PRODUCTS?
Share your vision with the WomanpreneuHER community and let us know the #1 question you have when it comes to selling your own digital products!